With the popularity of stainless steel appliances in modular kitchens, you might be willing to purchase sophisticated utensils. Besides, households have other appliances made of durable, stainless steel. In case any of these objects develop rust, the visual appearance of the metal might get ruined. Moreover, rust significantly lowers the strength and utility of stainless steel if it remains unchecked for a long time. So, if you are still wondering how to remove rust from stainless steel, this post will be helpful to you.
Now, let’s take a look at the tactics that will help you remove rust from stainless steel.
Tips to remove rust from stainless steel
1. Cream of tartar method
In this method, you have to combine a few drops of lemon juice along with a full tablespoon of tartar cream. After that, you can apply this paste to any rusty area of the stainless steel. Besides, it would be ideal to use a soft sponge to rub the paste over all the visible rusty areas on the metal surface of the stainless steel kitchens accordingly. Once all the rusty spots have been covered up, you can make use of another damp sponge to wash off the paste from the metal surface. Then dry off the metal simply with the help of a dishcloth and have your job done.
2. Lemon juice method
This is one of the most effective rust cleaning methods for stainless steel surfaces. To perform this, you will need a mixture of equal amounts of baking soda and lemon juice to prepare a paste. After that, apply this paste all over the rusty metal surfaces. Then wash off the applied paste using a damp sponge. If you find that the oxidation still exists, it would be ideal to apply the paste again and leave it for 30 minutes at least before you remove it. You can take lime juice into the action instead of lemon juice here
3. Using baking soda paste
This simple method might appear to be extremely effective for removing rusts. Firstly, take a certain amount of baking soda and two cups of water. After that, combine them to prepare a thick paste and apply it over the oxidation on your stainless steel appliances accordingly. Then scrub the paste over the metal surfaces according to the metal grain direction using a clean and tidy cloth. Eventually, use a damp paper towel to rinse off the metal surface and wash the paste away from it.
4. Knock out the rust using vinegar
Vinegar is always considered the most common household product for cleaning rust. It includes acetic acid that works as a mild corrosive cleaner in removing rust and dirt. At first, fill up the container with vinegar. Then immerse the stainless steel appliance in it if possible.
Otherwise, you can pour the vinegar on the rusty spots and leave it as-it-is for at least five minutes. After that, scrub the lingering stains away with the toothbrush bristles until you completely wipe out the stains. Once the rusty stains are removed, rinse the surface with normal water and let it dry.
Set up an exhaust canopy in your kitchen
By now, you know how to remove rust from stainless steel. But how about preventing rust from affecting your expensive stainless steel items? Fortunately, you can set up an exhaust canopy, a kitchen hood device containing a mechanical fan. This device hangs above the gas and can drive the mixture away from your kitchen. Therefore, the chances of getting rust in stainless steel surfaces reduce significantly. It’s always wise to have a proper line of defense against expensive household objects.
Exhaust canopies from A1 Custom Stainless & Kitchens are designed to provide proper exhaust and replacement air through the custom ductwork that we install for your kitchen. The best thing about our custom exhaust canopies is that there is a minimum blockage in the ducts for free movement of air in and out of the system.
When you start noticing grease and debris falling from your range hood, it is time to clean its filter. A commercial range hood filter needs more frequent cleaning than its residential counterpart. The range hood is responsible for removing excess gas, odours, and steam from your kitchen. The appliance also has an important role in removing heat. Keeping the filter clean will help this system work optimally, thus maintaining your kitchen’s environment in a favourable condition.
So, how to clean range hood filters? This guide provides you with a step-by-step process.
1. Remove the Filters
You will have to remove the filter for thorough cleaning. Range hood filters are designed to be easily removed. The system is designed in a way that you can remove the filters by pulling at a tab
2. Soak the Filters in Water
Fill your sink with boiling, soapy water and add 1/4 cup baking soda to it. The sink should be large enough for the filters. Else, you a large bucket. Wash the filters with your hands. Let the filters soak in the water for some time before you start washing them. This will allow the grease to break down. Use a scourer or brush to scrub clean the filters. It is not recommended to use any chemicals for the job. They can affect the mesh, thus impeding the filtering capacity.
3. Dishwasher Cleaning
Once the grime has been removed from the filters, place them in the dishwasher. Let it run on a hot cycle. Check if your dishwasher has the pots and pans cycle and choose it for the best results.
Next, you should leave the filters out in the air to dry. Once cleaned and dried, they will sparkle and look shiny. Let the filters dry fully before refitting them
When to Clean or Replace Your Range Hood Filters?
Whenever you notice that the range hood is not working properly, it may be a sign that the filters need cleaning. The filters should be cleaned every few months. A commercial rangehood will need to be cleaned more often than the one used in a residential kitchen. Your range hood may also alert filter cleaning or replacement with a warning light.
You should consider cleaning or replacing these filters when you notice the following signs:
• Grime or grease builds up on the surrounding walls or cabinetry.
• Smoke is not removed from the kitchen when the range hood is turned on.
• Cooking odours are not removed from the kitchen.
• There are signs of bends, warping, holes, or dents in the filters or mesh.
• There is a visual sign of grime or grease on the filters.
If you are regularly cooking on the stovetop, you should consider changing the filters every 6 months. If you don’t cook as often, it is recommended to change them annually. Still, you should regularly check for any signs of grease or grime build-up or damages.
Range Hood Filters & Dishwashers
Many people are uncertain about placing these filters in a dishwasher. You can use your dishwasher to clean the filters. it is recommended to select the hot cycle for pots and pans to get the best results. Make sure to first soak and clean the filters in hot soapy water and remove the grime.
So, it is recommended to check your range hood filters every few weeks for any signs of grease build-up. If you notice dirt or grease, remove the filters and clean them using the methods mentioned above. These are simple steps and should be easy for you to follow. Keeping the filters clean can help maintain a cleaner kitchen environment and improve the performance and efficiency of the appliance.
Stainless steel items such as pots, barbeque stands, and appliances are prone to watermarks and tarnishing. They need to be regularly polished to restore or maintain their shine. When polished properly, stainless steel can display the best surface you can imagine. Besides its aesthetic benefits, polishing can also act as a protective layer for the metal.
So, how to polish stainless steel? Here are 3 main methods to help you achieve this goal.
1. Using Vinegar
There are different types of vinegar and it is recommended to choose cider vinegar, as it will leave a more pleasant scent on the surface. If there are stains on the surface or there is heavy tarnishing, use cleaning vinegar.
Use the following steps when polishing stainless steel surfaces:
- Check the grain’s direction
- Use a spray bottle to spray the vinegar on the steel surface to create a thin coat
- You may also moisten a soft cloth with vinegar as an alternative
- Dilute the vinegar (1/2 cup against 1 quart of warm water) for light polishing
- Use undiluted vinegar if there is heavy staining
- Wipe the surface along the direction of the grain to reach the grooves where grime, dust, and dirt gets trapped
It is important that no vinegar stays in the grooves, as it can cause the steel to fade after some time. It is recommended to use a soft cloth instead of paper towels, as they will not leave any fibres behind.
2. Using Specialised Cleaners
There are specialized cleaners in the market for achieving optimal results with your Stainless Steel Kitchens polishing needs. It is recommended to choose a non-wax-based polish with abrasive properties. Next, you should consider whether you need a water-based or oil-based cleaner.
These cleaners are less toxic and environment-friendly, but they are not good at removing fingerprints or smudges.
These cleaners provide better polishing results.
It is recommended to use the following steps to polish your Stainless Steel Kitchens using specialized products:
- Choose a properly ventilated area for the task
- Wear a pair of rubber gloves
- Spray the cleaner over the item using the directions on the label
- Use a dry microfiber cloth to wipe the surface in the direction of the grain
It is recommended to clean the surface regularly to prevent the build-up of dirt or grime.
3. Using Olive Oil
Take a soft cloth and flip an open bottle of olive oil over it. let the oil soak into the cloth for a couple of seconds. Then, follow these steps:
- Use the soaked cloth to coat the stainless steel surface in the oil
- Use circulation motions with a slight pressure
- Continue the process for a few minutes until the entire surface is covered
- Wipe the surface until a light sheen forms
- Make sure the polishing is even
- Use a paper towel or clean cloth to remove any excess olive oil
It is recommended to keep wiping the surface until it no longer feels oily. You may also use baby oil or liquid paraffin for the purpose.
If there is tough tarnishing on your Stainless Steel Kitchens surfaces, you may consider using lemon juice. It is a natural and environment-friendly cleaning method. Lemon juice has acidic properties and is highly effective in removing tarnish. You can use a soft cloth to wipe the surface covered in lemon juice and water or soak the cloth before rubbing the surface with it.
So, these are some of the most effective ways to polish the stainless steel appliances and surfaces in your home. It is important to maintain a daily cleaning routine to extend the gap between your polishing routine.
When you undertake a kitchen remodel work, you for sure would aspire for one of those dreamy kitchen designs that you see in magazines. You want the result to be nothing but perfect. With so many choices and decisions to make be it stainless steel benches or the color of laminates, the whole process can become quite overwhelming so here are some essentials with which you can create a perfect kitchen.
1. Start with the big picture in mind
You must start evaluating the current landscape and reviewing the elements of the kitchen. Also, look at the whole home as one entity and analyze how the kitchen relates to the adjacent rooms. You can then create drafts of different layouts so that the final result does not come as a surprise.
2. Plan the use of space
While planning the layout discuss details of how you use each space with your contractor. For instance, your morning routine, your use of the cooktop, or the need for separate stations for baking, juicing will define the layout.
3. Make clusters
The concept of the kitchen triangle has been in use since the 1940s. As per this concept, the refrigerator, sink, and stove make a point of a triangle and for the highest efficiency, they must be at a certain distance from each other. However, today the idea of clustering works better. Experts suggest sink, stove, and prep counter can be one cluster while refrigerator and pantry can be one cluster.
4. Contain the chaos
In the kitchen, there are multiple sources of potential chaos. There is water, one can slip. There is fire, which can be risky for tiny tots. Therefore, the sink and stove must be away from the walkway. Create a small designated area where people can linger around but not step on the toes of the person cooking.
5. Choose materials wisely
The final choice of materials depends on your personal preferences and your budget. You must bear in mind that no material will maintain its new sheen and look forever. So, choose the materials wisely, after proper research and discussion with your contractor.
6. Rethink the lighting
A kitchen looks best when it is washed in natural daylight, so it is wise to plan a layout that allows you to leverage the natural light and the outside views. With the modern fixtures of lighting, you can add a very contemporary and unique look to the kitchen.
The success mantra is to take cues from the architecture of your home so that the renovated kitchen makes sense as a part of the home. It should not be a complete mismatch from the rest of the house. You must try to create enough storage space with quality cabinetry and enhance the functionality with elements like modern kitchen range hoods.
Keeping the above essential elements in mind will help you plan your kitchen upgrade better. It is important that you plan your budget and then stick to it as the project progresses. Choose a reliable and experienced contractor who can deliver the job as per your expectations.
Kitchen upgrades are among the most popular renovation projects and it is also one of the most satisfying home remodels. The kitchen is the centerpiece of your home and a fresh and unique look of the kitchen will give you a lot of comfort and make your kitchen more functional. With a good remodel your kitchen becomes a compelling epicenter of the home and increases the value of your home.
But when you consider a kitchen renovation some questions will crop up in your mind like how much will you need to spend, how much can you afford and what to expect from the remodel.
How much does a kitchen remodel cost?
Although the exact cost of remodeling a kitchen depends on various factors and choice that you make, reading this piece will give you some idea of what to expect. According to a study published by Houzz, a large kitchen renovation’s median cost is $20,000 whereas that for a small kitchen is $12,000.
The exact amount that you need to spend depends on your budget and the reason of making the upgrade to the kitchen. If you are opting for only basic functionality upgrade, there are many DIY packs available. On the other hand, if you are planning to make a kitchen of your dream that you have been craving for while you flip through home improvement magazines, then sky is the limit. Thus, the exact cost will vary depending on the level of upgrade and design you are aspiring for.
The estimate that you will get on various online sources will not include the cost of white good, so while chalking out your entire budget you must include the cost of white goods. You must also create a balance between the appliances and hardware like cabinetry. High-end appliances in a kitchen with low quality cabinetry will stand out awkwardly.
If you are upgrading your kitchen before you put the property on sale, you must create a kitchen than appeals to a wide range of potential buyers. Try to go for simple color palettes and classy looking cabinetry. Most buyers look for good kitchen and bathroom in a property they intend to buy, so make sure your kitchen upgrade suits the property type and the locality.
While you are planning your budget, you must keep aside about 20 percent for unexpected and unplanned needs. Some unexpected surprises can be very expensive such as water damage or electrical circuit issue. It is also important that you stick to your budget and your plan as the renovation project progresses. Adding additional features can instantly shoot up the expenses and this will lead to a domino effect of inflating your budget.
If you are looking to renovate your kitchen but don’t want to spend a bomb there are several inexpensive options to choose from. You can choose laminate flooring, add paint to the existing cabinetry or add functionality with stainless steel benches. Look for these money-saver options without compromising on the quality so that you get the kitchen of your dream!
We all know that a healthy mind resides in a healthy body. What does come to your mind first when you think of good health? Man is made up of what we eat. Hence, having a rich and nutritious diet is a must for everyone irrespective of age and gender. Just like you can’t pray in the untidy prayer hall, it is impossible to cook healthy in a filthy kitchen.
With most commercial eateries moving to best health practices, it is equipotential to implement the best kitchen habits at your place. Out of all of the features, exhaust canopies are one of the best implementations to ensure the safety and well-being of your family. Some of the other best methods to set up a healthy kitchen cover:
- Arrange your appliances: Set your kitchen appliances in the best pattern of use. You can line up juicer, toast makers ahead while keeping the big appliances after the smaller ones. This will inculcate easy access at all times.
- Repair the worn outs: Don’t keep faulty appliances in your kitchen. This will decrease the health standards as leftover food can spread a bad smell. Don’t compromise on kitchen range hoods as they are on the duty of keeping your kitchen environment clean and healthy.
- Indoor herb plantation: You can plant the best herbs like oregano, cilantro, basil, etc. in your kitchen only. Adding a little of these herbs to your drinks and dishes will give you the best organic nutrition.
- Set up your pantry: The arrangement of your pantry is ideal to ensure the supply, requirements, and usage of your food. It is best to set your pantry according to the expiry date to ensure safe items’ usage. Incorporating the best healthy items can raise the food standards at your place.
- Keep your refrigerator organized: The refrigerator houses the perishable kitchen items. Hence, it is vital to keep it clean and organized at all times. Don’t keep the items for a long time that affects the nutritional worth of the eatables.
- Proper lighting and ventilation: Proper lighting over the cooktop ensure the best environment for cooking. Ideal ventilation with a proper exhaust system is a must to maintain the healthy environment of your kitchen.
- Efficient plumbing: The drainage of the wastewater and faucets for freshwater should be separated from each other to prevent contamination. Always go for closed drainage to avoid smell issues and pests entry in your kitchen.
- Pest Control: Ensure zero-tolerance for pests like flies, cockroaches with the best exterminator services. This prevents the entry of disease-causing germs and viruses along with pests.
- Regular cleaning: Just like any machine requires scheduled maintenance, your kitchen can’t survive without a regular cleaning regime. The best appliances and kitchenware is in dire need of proper cleaning.
It is of utmost importance to cooking in a healthy kitchen. While an exhaust canopy is highly useful for a clean kitchen environment, the early adaption of other eating habits is a must. Multiply your kitchen experience by practicing the best healthy habits.
Making a new kitchen or renovating your old one always lands you in budget issues. Owning an expensive looking kitchen doesn’t only awe your visitors but adds to the resale value of your place. Considering the kitchen appliances a fixed cost, you’re left with the other active components.
For example, including the stainless steel bench works best when you need to add the best look to your powerhouse. What if you can get the best expensive-looking kitchen at highly affordable costs only? Let us help you to achieve this with simple yet powerful steps:
- Changing the kitchen cabinet colours: The kitchen cabinets are the first point of attraction. These storage spaces can be granted a new look with a splash of fresh paint. You can do minor repairs if required before the paint only. Henceforth, you get the best-looking kitchen cabinets at the least costs.
- Dress up your kitchen with light accessories: Including some fresh flowers or little accessories can add to your kitchen value. You can go to the motivational posters encouraging healthy habits. Enjoy the feeling of eating in a five-star restaurant at your home only.
- Change the lighting: Replacing your kitchen lights with cost-effective LED’s can change the entire look of your place. You can light up your kitchen with beautiful light accessories like lanterns that blend well with your interiors.
- Replacing the flooring: The old, worn-out flooring of your kitchen is best to be replaced with a vinyl coating. It doesn’t only add a glossy look to your kitchen but adds to its visual value. Also, the vinyl flooring is light on your budgets.
- Kitchen top surfaces: You can go for different finishes on the kitchen top. It facilitates smooth working and ensures the desirable looks at your place. It is one of the best ideas to give an expensive feel to your work station.
- Painting your appliances: While most kitchen appliances have definite costs, you can paint them in stainless steel finishes for the best looks. Infusing benches made up of stainless steel works wonder in giving your kitchen an expensive stainless steel look.
- Refurbishing kitchen walls: While most of the kitchen walls are covered with appliances or kitchen cabinets, it is mandatory to take care of the leftover wall space. You can refurbish the kitchen walls to match it with the stainless steel look of the appliances.
- Keep it simple: Luxury is simple yet powerful. Thus, you must go to keep your kitchen simple and powerful. All you need to do is include the best but keeping it clutter-free only.
- Increase open space: Try to increase the kitchen’s open space by arranging the appliances and seating. It will not only add to the luxurious looks but ensure the best kitchen management.
Giving your kitchen an affordable makeover is the dream of many persons. You can make it look expensive while staying low on budgets. Stainless steel benches are highly appreciated in giving a classy look to your kitchen without compromising its efficiency.
The kitchen is the bright spark at your place. While searching for the best for your kitchen, it is hard to miss the highly-functional kitchen range hood. Kitchen range hoods are ideal devices that remove the smoke, grease, and cooking smell out of the kitchen. Hence, it is an essential commodity to keep the kitchen’s environment clean and highly workable.
Using a kitchen hood at your place can be the best decision of your life as modern kitchens are incomplete without them. Markets are flooded with highly-acclaimed products that tend to be ideal for your daily use. Whether you’ve to cook, fry, or steam, a range hood is the next need after your cooking skills. Let us help you with the best buying guide key pointers that ensure to make your exhaust canopy’s purchase smooth.
- Size: Kitchen hood works in coordination with your stove or cooktop. Thus, it is important to match its size with the accessory down below to ensure efficient operations. It is best to go on your hunt for a kitchen hood with accurate measurements of your cooktop or stove only. This helps you to buy the just-right product within your budget range.
- Type: There are different types of exhaust canopies. You can go for any of these according to your requirements. You can choose from the under cabinet hoods, island hoods, downdraft hoods, and wall-chimney hoods. These types are based on the placement of the kitchen hood and its supporting accessories. Placing it alongside the walls or putting it under the cabinets, all work according to your kitchen interiors and appliances’ location. If you don’t want any structure over the roofs, you can go for the downdraft kitchen hoods that operate on the floor buy creating reverse suction.
- Air Flow and CFM: Kitchen hood’s job is to extract the air from your cooktop. Hence, it is important to check the airflow of your device as it determines the efficiency of your kitchen hood. You have to benchmark the CFM or cubic feet per minute before purchasing a kitchen range hood for you. It is dependent on the exhaust motor of your kitchen hood.
- Speed Control: Using high power at light functions is as bad as using low power for high functions. Thus your kitchen hood should have different speed features to match the versatility in your kitchen usage.
- Noise Levels: Including a noise creating kitchen hood can be the worst experience of your life. Thus, you have to keep a check at the noise levels as it is due to the mechanical parts of the kitchen hood.
- Try to bring harmony in CFM and noise levels of the kitchen hood.
- Look for additional features like light, emergency alarms, etc.
- Consider your architect before installing a new range hood.
Range hoods are available in different types, designs, and features. It is highly recommended to choose it based on size, types, and features like speed control, airflow, and noise levels with affordability at the center.
Stainless steel is one of the toughest metals used in our daily lives and is the most resistant to corrosion when it comes to exposure to the environment. This is the reason why it finds itself being used in a myriad of cases where a lot of wear and tear is expected like sitting spaces in public buses, trains, public parks, hospitals, etc. Stainless steel benches can be found in most of the public areas and nowadays, these are used in private spaces as well. One of the reasons is that they offer a modern look to your private space with unmatched ruggedness.
Being tough and rugged, however, does not mean that stainless steel will never require any care. The metal requires little maintenance however; some maintenance is warranted like once a year as there are certain contaminants which if settled on the surface can render the metal weak. These contaminants meddle with the protective layer that forms naturally over steel surfaces and makes it ineffective. This not only increases the life of the steel but also keeps it visibly aesthetic.
How to take care of your steel: The preventive way
When kept in the external environment, stainless steel performs remarkably well. Even in the rains, it does not get bad or corroded easily. Having said that, it is not just water that is present in the environment, especially after the roads undergo de-icing during the winters. The salts present in the de-icing agents can damage your stainless steel bench in the long run. If you live along the coast, then the salinity in the air will harm your steel and within 3 years you will start seeing signs of harm. The recommendation here is that you clean the surface of steel at least once a year in regular environments and twice a year if you live along the seaside. Using a solution of mild detergent in warm water will be enough to take care of any contaminants that might harm the surface. Thoroughly rinse the bench and repeat. This shall keep the stainless steel bench working for years.
What to do in a commercial or industrial setup?
Maintaining stainless steel benches can be a nightmare if they are not installed in a suitable environment. For example, it is advised not to install them in a construction environment. Cleaning acids used for stones and concrete can cause serious damage to the steel surface and it might quickly become susceptible to corrosion. Another place where stainless steel should be avoided is proximity to metal grinding and iron welding machines. Grinding and welding produce a lot of iron particles that easily clog to any surface, especially steel.
Over time these will oxidize and eventually rust, completely changing the look and functionality of the steel installation. For adhesives or oily environments, you need to clean the steel surface using alcohol regularly for longevity. It is important to take care of your steel installations and seek professional help whenever you are confused or are not sure what to do. In case you have any queries, please get in touch with us at A1 Custom Stainless & Kitchens and get the best service you can hire.
An exhaust system is very essential for a commercial kitchen like a restaurant or a bakery. A good exhaust system removes the smell and smoke from the kitchen. For a restaurateur, selecting an exhaust canopy can be a daunting and confusing task because of the multitude of options to choose from. Some people focus only on price and end up making a mistake by choosing from exhaust canopies that do not filter the sir properly, consume more energy and need maintenance and repair more often.
Some key considerations for making a choice can be:
- Height of mounting and size: When you are selecting an exhaust canopy, you must choose the size per the layout of your kitchen. You must weigh the area and understand the space taken by other appliances. In an ideal setting, the canopy must cover the complete area that is taken by the appliances. This will prevent grease and smoke from settling on the other appliances. The mounting height must be proper and appropriate for the effective functioning of the exhaust.
- Design of the canopy: It is very important to choose the right design of the exhaust canopy and this depends on the size of the kitchen, the cooking appliances, and the type of food that is majorly cooked in the commercial kitchen. The most commonly available designs of exhaust canopies are:
- Island hoods: These canopies hang downwards from the ceiling and are installed in an island configuration over the cooking appliances. The exhaust volume is the highest in this design.
- Double island hoods: These canopies are best suited for larger kitchens that have multiple cooking appliances in the kitchen.
- Wall-mounted hoods: These are mounted on the wall, over the cooking appliances. These are larger and hence require more exhaust volume as compared to smaller ones.
- Design of the ventilation: Smoke and grease when allowed to build up in the kitchen can become a health hazard from the personnel in the kitchen space. Hence, the kitchen becomes one of those spaces that need the best ventilation system. When it comes to a commercial kitchen, an unpleasant odor can lead to loss of clients and hence the business. Therefore, a canopy which provides good ventilation is needed in the commercial kitchens. A canopy that provides good ventilation will remove maximum grease, odour, and smoke from the kitchen. Exhaust rate and makeup air are two important factors to look at. A kitchen where there is more heat, grease and smoke needs a higher exhaust rate. The unit for exhaust rate is CFM or cubic feet per minute. The fresh air that replaces the air removed from the kitchen is called makeup air and is responsible for removing odours and restoring the air quality in your commercial kitchen.
If you are looking for a good canopy for your commercial kitchen and need the advice to choose the best option, feel free to reach out to us at A1 Custom Stainless & Kitchens. For a free quote give us a call on 0738887534.