While the sleek and sophisticated look of stainless-steel equipment appeals to homeowners, getting rid of nasty scratches might turn out to be a hassle. Particularly, if you have stainless steel benches, sinks, appliances, or kitchen accessories, you need to call in professionals to polish the surface from time to time. In the end, you won’t compromise your aesthetics, right? Whether it’s a simple dishwasher or expensive appliances like refrigerators or microwaves, it makes sense to keep them scratch-free.
Remember, appliances and equipment made of stainless steel require regular maintenance. They are rust-resistant and durable, but you need to keep them in good condition by polishing the surfaces. Most importantly, steel is susceptible to scratching. In case you are wondering how to remove scratches from stainless steel, here’s the guide you have been looking for.
Removing fine scratches from stainless steel
You can easily remove fine scratches from stainless steel using a non-abrasive cleaner. These cleaners are designed to buff out ugly marks. You can either get a powder or a liquid cleaner to remove the scratches.
Using a powder
- Apply a little water to the powdered cleaner to form a paste.
- Now take a clean piece of cloth and dampen it. Apply the paste to the cloth and rub the scratch with the solution back and forth. Follow the direction of the grain while moving the cloth.
- After some time, wipe the cleaner away using a damp cloth and examine whether the scratch has disappeared.
- Keep repeating this process until the scratch is gone. Lastly, apply a little olive oil or stainless steel polish to the surface.
If the scratch is tougher, a non-abrasive cleaner wouldn’t be the perfect solution. In these cases, you need to use a mildly abrasive cleaner, such as toothpaste. Here’s how you need to work with it.
- Use a toothbrush to apply the paste on the metal and work it over the scratch, following the direction of the grain.
- After a while, check whether the scratch has disappeared by cleaning the solution with a damp piece of cloth.
- Once gone, apply olive oil or stainless-steel polish to coat the surface for a better sheen.
Read more about: How To Polish Stainless Steel?
Removing deep scratches from stainless steel
Deep scratches or imperfections on stainless steel might be stubborn. You can eliminate these scratches by sanding the surface in the method briefed out below.
- Get sandpaper, which should remain wet during the entire scratch-removal process.
- Sand the imperfection by applying light pressure. Following the grain, move the sandpaper back and forth.
- After a few minutes, check whether the scratch has gone or not. If it continues to be there, repeat the process with coarser sandpaper.
- When you notice the scratch disappear, buff the surface using sandpaper with a finer grit. Experts can seamlessly blend it with the surroundings.
- Use a wet cloth to wipe the surface, again following the grain direction. Now use a dry towel to remove the water and apply olive oil stainless steel polish for an outer coat.
Those are some tips that can be done to remove scratches on stainless steel furniture.
For all your kitchen furniture needs, trust us only to manufacture it, A1 Custom Stainless Steel. The kitchen furniture that we produce is made of the best stainless steel so you don’t have to worry about the problem of scratches like what happened above because our stainless steel material is very durable and long-lasting.
So no need to think twice about ordering your kitchen furniture from us, A1 Custom Stainless Steel